Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hollygrove Market

Recently I heard about the Hollygrove Market that operates a store on Saturdays and Tuesdays. It is located in the neighborhood of the same name, which is known to be kind of on the sketchy side. I suppose they are trying to improve the area with projects like this market. I went in not really knowing how it works, but a young guy showed me the ropes. Basically you can buy produce, milk, eggs, cheese, beef, and chicken that all comes from local farmers and suppliers. They also have a $25 box deal. I opted for this plan so that I could get a good variety of items. To fill my box I followed a row of bins and crates and selected the number of each item indicated on a sign. It was super easy and I feel good about buying from and supporting the local economy. Here is my loot for the week:

3 Peaches
4 Red Potatoes
2 Patty Pan Squash
4 Jalapenos
2 Zucchini
2 Cucumbers
3 Yellow Squash
1 sandwich bag of "Cajun" Rice
1 bag of Arugula
1 snack bag of Red Chili Peppers
1 brown bag of Green Beans
1 brown bag of Okra
1/2 brown bag of Shitake Mushrooms
1 pint of Blueberries

I also bought 3 little tomatoes as well. I have never had Patty Pan Squash and I am not sure what I am going to do with all of that Okra, but I plan on looking up some recipes to see what I can do. Thus far I have made a salad to take to work tomorrow that I used the Arugula, a few mushrooms, a jalapeno, some cucumber and tomato in (I had other things already that I tossed in too). And for dinner I had Special K with a peach cut up on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment