Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fall? Where Are You?

Twenty four years of living in Virginia programmed my internal calendar to associate back-to-school with lowering temperatures. Regardless of if I am able to see the date on an actual calendar, I believe my body can sense the amount of time that has passed and knows what should be occurring. Three years of living in New Orleans has not re-programmed me. It is mid October and it should be "fall". Football is in full swing, scary movies are being shown in theaters and on TV, Halloween is around the corner, The Walking Dead is about to come back on, and everyone is obsessed with all things pumpkin.
 
Virginia is seeing highs in the 60's and lows getting down into the 40's at night. I'm sure people are building fires and making sure their oil tanks are filled for the season, enjoying sweaters and boots. In New Orleans we continue hitting the mid 80's daily and are lucky to dip below 70 at night. Air conditioners are still humming away in the Big Easy as people don short sleeves and flip flops.
 
 
My only bit of fall for now is the background picture on my phone. I miss the leaves changing colors and the gorgeous mountains the most. To cheer myself up I think I am going to make something pumpkiny and delicious this afternoon then put on a good horror flick!

No comments:

Post a Comment