Saturday, January 23, 2016

Katie's Chocolate Club: January

As my lovely hand written note says, this month's chocolate club was to help keep me motivated while I continue my job hunt :) I don't remember exactly how I stumbled across the New Jersey based Sciascia Confections (pronounced sha-sha), but I sure am glad that I did! I keep a list of interesting chocolate places to consider for my club each month and Sciascia's website happened to tickle my fancy in January!

The smooth brown box arrived secured with a well formed golden bow (my time at Sucre will always cause me to take note of ribbon/bows...something I'll have to live with forever). I always appreciate a hand-written note as I know that requires an extra personal step in the fulfillment process. All of the truffles were in perfect condition, not that I would expect much melting to occur up and down the east coast with the current winter weather!

 

ROW #1
S'more: Campfire memories rolled into one neat bite: fresh marshmallow is covered in dark chocolate and coated in crushed organic graham cracker crumbs.
La Vie en Rose: A candied rose petal adorns a creamy dark chocolate ganache truffle splashed with a whisper of rose water, organic raspberries and raspberry liqueur.
The Holy Grail (milk): The ultimate caramel: silky and soft, infused with Tahitian vanilla bean and accented with a  touch of sea salt crystals harvested in the Camargue region near Provence, France.
Nuts about Nutella: A pure hazelnut and chocolate truffle cream center is surrounded by a rich dark chocolate, studded with chocolate-covered caramelized hazelnuts.
Chariots of Fire: Ancho chili pepper-together with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla- brings a warm heat to this dark chocolate truffle rolled in pure and intense Valrhona cocoa powder.

ROW #2
In the Limelight: Fresh lime zest is the star in this organic coconut, white chocolate truffle splashed with rum, an infusion of Madagascar vanilla, and cloaked in 70% dark chocolate with toasted organic coconut.
A Walk in the Rainforest: 100% Kallari Ecuadorian farmer-ownded, heirloom cacao, is used to make this 75% organic dark chocolate truffle infused with Tahitian vanilla bean. Kallari chocolate is rainforest alliance certified.
Monkey's Uncle: Early Spanish explorers called coconut "coco," because it resembled a monkey's face. Chomp on this: dark chocolate and creamy organic coconut ganache with a splash of rum.
The Holy Grail (dark): The ultimate caramel: silky and soft, infused with Tahitian vanilla bean and accented with a  touch of sea salt crystals harvested in the Camargue region near Provence, France.
Mad about Vanilla: A dark chocolate shell (topped with caramelized cocoa nibs) holds a fragrant Madagascar, Tahitian, and Mexican vanilla bean-infused white chocolate ganache.

ROW #3
Portrait of Aunt Hazel (the nut): A milk chocolate exterior with caramelized hazelnuts hugs a pure hazelnut praline and caramelized coconut center, with a touch of sea salt. A National Award-Winning Confection.
Mad about Vanilla: A dark chocolate shell (topped with caramelized cocoa nibs) holds a fragrant Madagascar, Tahitian, and Mexican vanilla bean-infused white chocolate ganache.
Duke of Earl Grey Tea: Creamy dark chocolate truffle infused with fragrant earl grey tea, honey, and topped with local bee pollen (a superfood containing nearly all the nutrients required by humans).
"Honey, I'm Home!": Times have changed, but simple pleasures remain, like this dark chocolate truffle with hazelnut praline, orange blossom honey and a candied violet petal. "Welcome home dear."
In the Limelight: Fresh lime zest is the star in this organic coconut, white chocolate truffle splashed with rum, an infusion of Madagascar vanilla, and cloaked in 70% dark chocolate with toasted organic coconut.

ROW #4
Lemonade Stand: In support of Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer, we created this organic lemon zest-infused dark chocolate truffle. Sciascia Confections supports alexslemonade.org.
Chariots of Fire: Ancho chili pepper-together with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla- brings a warm heat to this dark chocolate truffle rolled in pure and intense Valrhona cocoa powder.
Romeo & Juliet:  The classic pair: dark chocolate and raspberries, united once again in this star-cross'd truffle swirled in raspberry liqueur and blanketed with pure organic raspberry dust.
The Holy Grail (milk): The ultimate caramel: silky and soft, infused with Tahitian vanilla bean and accented with a  touch of sea salt crystals harvested in the Camargue region near Provence, France.
S'more: Campfire memories rolled into one neat bite: fresh marshmallow is covered in dark chocolate and coated in crushed organic graham cracker crumbs.

Holy cow these were awesome! I don't know that I could name my favorite if I had to. The S'more was fun with its semi-liquid marshmallow center. Nuts about Nutella was like a Ferrero Rocher without the crispy wafer part: I love chocolate and hazelnut together! Perhaps it is the combination of three types of vanilla, not that I could tell you the difference between them, but the Mad About Vanilla was killer. If I had to pick one that I was not as wild about it would be the Chariots of Fire but that is only because I am not a fan of spice. The heat was not overwhelming by any means, but again, if I had to pick my least favorite, that would be it for me. 

I will be keeping Sciascia Confections in mind should I get a hankering again and want to repeat a chocolatier. Or if I am ever in New Jersey I would love to stop by their retail location. Yum yum yum!

*all names/descriptions were copied directly from the guides provided with the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment