Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Moonshine Tasting

On my road trip back south I stopped off in Gatlinburg to do some moonshine tasting. We went to Dollywood years ago when I was a kid, but I have not been back into the Smoky Mountains since then. To get to the distilleries I drove through Pigeon Forge and through some adorable touristy areas! My first stop was Sugarlands Distilling Company where I gathered around a round bar with others to hear about and taste the many varieties of shine they produce. Once carded and stamped I was ready for my communion cup to runneth over (that isn't what they called it, but that is what they are--the same cups we use for communion at church!). Our guide had us sample the following: 
  • Silver Cloud, 100 proof
  • Appalachian Apple Pie, 50 proof
  • Blockader's Blackberry, 40 proof
  • Butterscotch Gold, 40 proof 
  • Jim Tom Hendrick's Unaged Rye, 100 proof
  • Mark Rogers American Peach, 80 proof
  • Tickle's Dynamite Cinnamon, 70 proof
  • Blueberry Muffin, 70 proof


They offer a few other flavors including PB&J, Sweet Tea and Lemonade, but those were not sampled out. I'm not sure I would want to drink a PB&J moonshine...sounds weird! 

After my initial sampling I made the trek further up the mountain (by foot, not car: all of these distilleries were among the hundreds of other shops and restaurants built for visitors along a main stretch of street) to the Ole Smoky Distillery. There they were sampling the following:
  • Blue Flame, 100 proof
  • White Lightnin', 100 proof
  • Hunch Punch, 80 proof
  • Margarita, 40 proof
  • Pumpkin Pie, 40 proof
  • Moonshine Peaches, 100 proof (actual chunks of peaches soaked in White Lightnin')
  • Cinnamon, 80 proof
  • Apple Pie, 70 proof
  • Apple Pie, 40 proof (yes, they have 2 Apple Pies and one bites harder than the other!)
  • Butterscotch, 40 proof
  • Maple, 80 proof (I passed on this one)
  • Shine Nog, 35 proof (described as "like Baileys")



After my hooch sampling I meandered up and down the street checking out all of the little shops along the way. Despite it being January, the town still had a ton of Christmas lights up. When you drove over one bridge it was covered with green and white lights. Very pretty. I'm glad that I made this pit stop on my drive back to New Orleans :)

No comments:

Post a Comment