Sunday, November 27, 2011

Not My Typical Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving was spent a little differently than years passed. Since I was not able to go home to be with family I had to fend for myself and honestly I had a blah attitude about attempting to have a "normal" Thanksgiving. Therefore I did things differently. I slept until noon (no exaggeration) then ate a red velvet cupcake for breakfast. In an effort to not waste the entire day I pulled myself together and drove to the Fair Grounds to meet AV for the opening day of the horse races. Below are tons of photographic evidence of my new adventure:

Beer and a program full of information that I had NO idea how to translate or interpret! AV tried his best to explain things to me--but I still bet on horses based on their names.

The shoots the horses come out of at the beginning of each race

You can watch all the action from inside or outside. Since it was such a gorgeous day we opted for outside most of the time.

And they're off!

Folks were dressed up in unique ensembles! Some of the crazy hats rivaled those seen at the royal wedding earlier this year! These people were channeling days gone by.

Very pretty view of down town in the distance

Before each race they would walk the horses around so that people could look at them prior to making any bets.

The program with my ticket showing my bet. I picked Magic Appointment, Sunday's Child, My Darlin' Daphne, and My Mom Pat. Gotta love those clever names!

Me!
After loosing approximately $6 I called it a day at the tracks and headed back to the hosue. Not having a turkey dinner to come home to I did what anti-holiday people do and ordered Chinese food! The rest of my afternoon I chilled on the couch catching up on episodes of Hell on Wheels and eating my take out.

Another Thanksgiving come and gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment