Friday, August 20, 2010

Kitchen Duty

As part of my training with Sucré I got to go help out in the kitchen for two days. All of the gelato, macaroons, cupcakes, entremets, cakes, and chocolates are made in a kitchen in Mid-City. It is pretty amazing the things they create basically from scratch!

My first day I did a variety of things; I diced peaches for the peach cobbler gelato, assembled strawberry macaroons, helped make passion fruit chocolates, started making a huge batch of candied pecans, mixed the ingredients for the chocolate bark, and a bunch of other sweet tasks! The second day I finished up the process of sugaring pecans and assembled lemon, orange, and pistachio macaroons. I was working across from a lady crafting a bunch of the entremets so it was fun to see the creation of some of the more unique sweets.

I had fun meeting a bunch of the chefs and seeing how things work. Also it was nice to be able to ask a few questions such as: is anything gluten-free? (the macaroons are—they’re made with almond flour), is the sorbet vegan? (indeed it is), do they ever change out any of the entremets/cupcakes? (yes, seasonally!), etc.

I enjoy baking/cooking so being in the kitchen was really a treat for me! And an awesome perk to working in a kitchen like that is the porter who does all of the dishes! My mom will be the first to point out that I will bake all day but I HATE cleaning up my mess afterwards! Having a person there whose job is to do the clean up behind you is the coolest part! Kind of makes me want to get a culinary degree so I can make cute little desserts all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment