Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Feel the Beat

My ears have been exposed to an entirely new genre of music since moving to New Orleans. While I still think that I don’t like “jazz” music (saxophones are not my favorite) I don’t know how to fully explain the things I have had the joy of hearing recently. A few shows/bands that have stuck out to me include 6 Pack Deep, Johhny Sketch & the Dirty Notes, and Gal Holiday & the Honky Tonk Revue.

I heard 6PD within my first week here at Maison on Frenchmen Street and I loved their crazy energy and enthusiasm. They had two trombone players that were awesome! Another night we were at Tipitina’s on Napoleon and saw Johnny Sketch. Again, lots of energy but this time the cello won me over! It was nothing short of beautiful. Gal Holiday was playing at Le Bon Temps and can I just say, that girl has got a voice like none-other! Soulful, country and old-timey.


6 Pack Deep

Johnny Sketch with his cello

Gal Holiday

Besides seeing live music (which is very easy to do here!) there is a radio station, WWOZ 90.7, that the guys play at the house a lot with local style music. Somehow I have also become fond of Irish Rock bands (Flogging Molly & The Pouges in particular). Music is definitely a large part of the culture here and there are numerous festivals and concerts going on constantly. The next big one I believe is Voodoo Fest October 29, 30 & 31. Muse, Ozzy Osbourne, Weezer, MGMT, Drake, Jakob Dylan, Kermit Ruffins and so many more are playing! Can’t wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment