Sunday, August 29, 2010

Five Years Later

Five years ago I was sitting in my dorm room at Roanoke College wondering where Brie and her family were and if they were okay. It was not clear at that point what the damage would be, but none-the-less I feared for their safety. Five years ago I was nineteen and naïve (I may still be naïve, it is debatable.) I was foolishly excited at the potential chance to see my best friend if she had to come back to Virginia. Indeed Brie did make her way to Virginia and attended Hollins for her sophomore year of college. It was awesome to have her closer to me, but not for the reason that caused her relocation.

New Orleans has made tremendous strides to rebuild itself and I get the sense that residents are a closer, more united group than ever before. The Superdome’s face lift is almost complete, and God knows these people rally around their Saints! A structure that once became a make-shift home to thousands of stranded folks was reclaimed as the home of their Superbowl victors less than five years later!

As I type this it is storming outside and oddly, it seems very appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment