Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Fiesta in a Bowl

Pinterest came through with a delightful, one dish fiesta recipe that I gave a whirl last week. I would make it again with a few tweaks. This was my first time trying ground turkey and I was not a fan. Possibly prepared another way, but if I made this particular dish again I would go with beef or perhaps no meat at all. Cooking for one lends itself to a lot of leftovers, so I ate on this pot for a few days. I only had avocado on top for my first bowl and this photo :) I did make a point to add chopped cilantro to each serving though!


  • 1 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 lb. ground turkey 
  • 2 cups uncooked penne pasta 
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth 
  • 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce 
  • 1 Roma tomato, diced 
  • 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted 
  • 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed 
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 
  • 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced 
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves

  • Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add ground turkey & cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the meat as it cooks; drain excess fat. 

  • Stir in pasta, salsa, chicken broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-16 minutes. 

  • Stir in tomato, corn and black beans, and gently toss to combine. Stir in cheese until melted through, about 1-2 minutes. 

  • Serve immediately, topped with avocado and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment