Friday, May 2, 2014

Game of Thrones

Well, it was only a matter of time before I found another show to binge watch and become obsessed with! Game of Thrones is the lucky winner currently and boy is this one a complicated watch! According to Wikipedia GoT can be described as a "fantasy drama" based on George R. R. Martin's series of novels. 
Here is what I have deduced:

There are 5,793 main characters (the accuracy of that number is not founded, but I promise it is close!) living in seven different kingdoms, speaking both English with an accent as well as a foreign language known as Dothraki. 


There are incestuous relationships, slavery, bastards, hostages, nobles, savages, "white walkers", a lot of whores, dragons, Wargs, "wildlings", giants, homosexuality, warlocks, lords, cripples, psychopaths, dwarfs, cross-dressing, a eunuch, ghost-like-spirits and more!

There are families who are allies, families who despise and seek to destroy each other, and families who pretend to get along for selfish advances. 


The amount of fantasy has increased as the show has continued. I feel like they work their way into the supernatural aspects. "White Walkers" (zombies) are in the first scene of the premiere episode, however, they do not come back around until the second season. Dragons are talked about a fair amount in the first season, but their presence becomes more frequent in later episodes. Warlocks appear for a bit but I haven't seen them in a while, so perhaps they are done? 

When I watched for the first time I was VERY tempted to scour the internet for information and clarification, but in doing so I knew that I would inevitably come across spoilers, so I chugged ahead watching in a state of confusion. It does not help that a few characters have been portrayed by numerous actors, some of which look nothing like each other! 

I am now caught up and have since been looking at family trees, episode summaries, and explanations for certain scenes as well as re-watching the series. Watching for the second time helps me catch things I missed the first go-round... and apparently I missed a lot! I do like a show that causes me to pay attention and think though-this is definitely NOT mindless television. 


There are still two more books to be written, and season 5 & 6 have been confirmed, so it looks like I will get to continue scratching my head and enjoying Game of Thrones for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment