Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Christmas Questionnaire in November

I know it is a little early, but I saw this on a fellow blogger's site and felt compelled to fill it out myself! Even though it is nearly 80 degrees outside and does not feel the least bit like Christmas I am hoping to escape reality for a moment and pretend I am at home for the holiday!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Gross: neither. If I had to choose I guess Hot Chocolate, but I would not enjoy it!
 

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? When I was a kid he just sat them under the tree: that's how you knew the difference between gifts from him v. gifts from family.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Growing up we had both depending on my mom's choice each year. I prefer all white.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? We have in the past, but it is not necessarily a real tradition.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Since not living at home I have had sparse decorations but I put them up towards the beginning of December--never before Thanksgiving. Mom...well... she prefers to wait until about 2 weeks before Christmas.
 

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? My Maw-maw's turkey salad is delicious!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? One year when I was probably 8 or 9 years old we put a tree up in the basement and all sat around and listened to Christmas records on my parents old record player. It was night time and there was a fire built. It felt like no one had anything else in the world they needed to be doing.
 

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I honestly do not remember when I found out. I don't recollect it being a traumatic event either. Just part of growing up I suppose. I don't remember telling my little brother either...not sure how he found out.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nope.
 

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Living on my own I have not had a tree to decorate but my mom's tree = a lot of Hallmark ornaments, ones my brother and I made as kids, some from my mom's childhood/younger adult life, random gifts from people over the years.
 

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I like the first snow of the season when it is happening, and then I want it to all go away and never come back! When it semi-melts and becomes a slushy mess I hate it. (Haven't had this problem since living in New Orleans!)
 

12. Can you ice skate?  I have never tried--but would like to.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Oh goodness...I don't think I could pick a favorite. I enjoy/appreciate all of the gifts I have ever received.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Being with family and laughing.
 

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Mom's Rum Cake: now that is a tradition!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Though I have not been able to do this in a few years, I always enjoy participating in my home town's "Christmas Basket" program. A few Saturdays before Christmas locals show up at the Virginia Horse Center early in the morning and begin an assembly line of packing boxes with food, toiletries, and toys for local needy families. It is always nice to see so many people work hard to make it happen. Young and old, students and families--there is always a good size crowd that volunteer their time and energy to help provide for those less fortunate.

17. What tops your tree? Not sure where it came from, but an ivory crocheted angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving. I enjoy putting effort into gifts and in an ideal world I would I be able to come up with a fun theme each year to wrap/present each gift!

19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? I could stand to eat one during the holidays then I am good for another year.

20. Favorite Christmas show? The Family Stone

21. Saddest Christmas Song? Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

22. What is your favorite Christmas song? I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

Well that was fun! Now I feel like listening to Christmas tunes all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment