Sunday, December 12, 2010

What's My Name Again?

At work I have plenty of time to "zone out" and during this time my mind wanders to many strange places. The other day I was thinking about people's names which led to nicknames which led to people who change their names altogether. How strange would it be to one day say "I am no longer Katie Smith, don't call me by that name, I am now Camila Anderson." Weird right? Celebrities do this all the time! Here are some examples of name switch-a-roos:

Ringo Starr -- Richard Starkey
Alice Cooper -- Vincent Damon Furnier
Elvis Costello -- Declan Patrick MacManus
Billie Holiday -- Eleanora Fagan
Bo Derek -- Mary Cathleen Collins
Whoopi Goldberg -- Caryn Johnson
Elton John -- Reginald Kenneth Dwight
Rodney Dangerfield -- Jacob Cohen
Marilyn Monroe -- Norma Jean Mortensen

Who suggested these new aliases? Are/were their careers more lucrative due to the change? Were their mothers offended by their choice to change their given names? Did they change their social security cards, driver's licenses, and other forms of identification? There are so many questions!

I think I'll stick with Katie :)

1 comment: