Sunday, March 1, 2015

Peaky Blinders: Watch It

Evan and I have a crush on the same person. I cannot speak for him, but my infatuation begins with his dreamy dark eyelashes fanning over the iciest blue eyes I have ever seen. Those perfectly chilling peepers sit nestled beside exquisitely chiseled cheekbones leading to a jaw so square it would make the most masculine man blush with envy. Full, symmetrical lips, an unpronounced nose and agelessly smooth skin complete the face of a human I cannot peel my eyes from.
Cillian Murphy could easily be called "pretty" but I would choose to use the term "mesmerizing" to describe the 38-year-old Irish actor’s look. As is my nature, I have done my research, read up on his life and career, searched the Internet over for his image and I have come to the conclusion that I am most physically attracted to his character, Thomas Shelby. While he, as a person, is extremely interesting and worthy of praise for his talents, if I had not been talked into watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix I would not be spending an embarrassing amount of time scouring YouTube and Google for snippets on Mr. Murphy nor would I be writing this post. Most people would recognize Cillian from his roles in Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy where he plays the villain, Scarecrow, Inception, Red Eye, or 28 Days Later. Though I would bet that Peaky Blinders will be a major turning point in his acting career should he choose to leverage its popularity.

Now for my spiel on why you too should immediately add Peaky Blinders to your queue:

  • Cillian Murphy's face- duh: or more broadly, the styling of the entire cast and setting. The haircuts of the time may appear curious to 21st century viewers but they were all the rave in the early 1920s: tight on the sides, long on top. The men often look greasy haired as I am sure personal hygiene standards were different back then than they are now. Hats are given a lot of attention for both genders. From fedoras to derby hats to flat caps for the gentlemen: from berets to large brimmed hats to cloches for the ladies. All of the costumes are given such care to detail. Men looking dapper and sharp while the women appeared glamorous and elaborate in their dresses and heels. I suppose the period between the two world wars is not one that I have seen featured in film much, so flapper dresses and pinstripe suits create a feel of class and standards in apparel that today’s society often lacks.
A delicate, feminine hat | A man's hat and the haircut of the time
Suits, pocket watches, peaked caps, bow ties
  • Fascinating accents: I do not have an ear for inflections. I have to concentrate very hard to distinguish why someone sounds different from someone else. As a result I cannot mimic others easily. The majority of the cast is dispensing an accent unlike their native twang and pulling it off rather well I am told. Subtitles have been a necessity for me but I am trying to train my ears to keep up!
  • Bad ass women: strong leading women in a period piece seems rare but it was the women who held businesses and families together while their men were sent off to war. Aunt Polly knows how to handle the Shelby boys as well as any other slick rick that comes along. The only Shelby sister, Ada, can hold her own amongst her pack of gangster brothers. Grace comes off as frail and innocent with her soft-spoken voice and fondness for singing a cappella to calm rowdy pub goers, but she knows how to wield that revolver tucked inside her sequined purse.

Aunt Polly, the matriarch of the Shelby clan | Grace, classy and dangerous
  • A love story: what gangster drama would be complete without the presence of an unassuming pretty lady to soften the roughest and toughest man? The twist in PB is that the girl is not as innocent as she would seem and knows exactly what she is weaving herself into even if she doesn't realize how fast her heart is falling. Isn’t that every woman’s fantasy: To be able to penetrate the hard exterior of a bad boy? To be his weakness and at the same time his strength? To reveal his heart despite the front he puts on for the rest of the world?

  • The soundtrack: I personally find it exciting when shows/films use music from different time periods than they are portraying. Think A Knights Tale or Inglorious Basterds. You’re viewing a set filled with the antiquity of early twentieth century but hearing a song produced within the last decade. Peaky Blinders features tunes from The White Stripes, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave, and Tom Waits to name a few.

All I can say is watch it. 
WATCH. IT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment