Sunday, September 28, 2014

Dinner Lab: Danny Espinoza

Sara and I utilized my Dinner Lab membership for the first time last week. Located in an under construction ground level of an apartment building downtown, we enjoyed a modern Mexican feast created by Chef Danny Espinoza


Aguachile: shrimp | jicama | coriander tuile | passion fruit 
Paired with: Day of the Dead Hop on or Die IPA
There was a tomatillo juice that each diner poured over their ceviche. The tuile (wafer) was delicious! Refreshing way to begin the meal.

Flautas de Papa: huitlacoche | poblano aioli | red cabbage slaw | queso fresco
This was my least favorite course of the dinner, but it wasn't anything to be upset about. In my opinion it was the least interesting, but tasty none-the-less.

Panza de Cerdo: pork belly | hibiscus | cauliflower | pico de tomatillo
Paired with: ChimayĆ³: tequila | unfiltered apple cider | fresh lemon juice | creme de Cassis | apple slices for garnish
Holy moly! The cauliflower puree was so creamy and complimented the melt in your mouth pork belly perfectly! Very satisfying.
 

Ternera de Oscar: braised veal short rib | epazote crab salad | chipotle hollandaise | lentils
Paired with: Day of the Dead Pay the Ferryman Porter
Just when I thought the pork belly was going to be the clear winner they placed this gorgeous plate in front of me. I love lentils. I love crab. I love short ribs! I could have eaten 10 of these (had I not been so full already!) happily!
 

Pastel de Tres Leches: vanilla soaked sponge cake | mango puree | puffed wild rice | rompope whop cream
The best imaginable ending to a great meal came in the form of this light, fruity dessert with tequila whipped cream. The puffed wild rice added a great crunch and warmth. I forced it all down despite being stuffed!

Each bamboo plate they presented to me was filled with something more interesting and delicious than the last! If only there was a way to indulge in such awesome cuisine without getting full! This was Mexican food unlike anything I have ever had. But like with most fiestas, the party wasn't over until guests had their chance to whack a piƱata!! 

Chef Danny is in a competition with other Dinner Lab chefs where the winner, based on diner's feedback, gets a brick and mortar restaurant to call their own! How cool is that!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment