Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Tenting Turned Staycation

Looks like the circus came to town and set up shop at our house. Yes, that is my residence under there: being rid of termites via fumigation. From the number of times I have seen other houses tented in the area, this seems to be a fairly common thing down here. For seemingly obvious reasons humans, nor any other living or ingestible thing, is allowed to remain inside the home while they pump toxic gasses through every crevice, drawer, and closet. We were given a few weeks notice of the impending evacuation so I packed up what I needed to in the kitchen, and took the opportunity to conduct a much needed purge of the fridge and pantry. I left all of the edibles at work for the weekend and checked myself into The Hotel Modern for a little staycation!

stay·ca·tion: /stāˈkāSHnnoun: a vacation spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.

After work on Friday I crashed on my personal king size bed, flipped on the cable and proceeded to zone out in the best way possible! | There was a bright and cheerful purple accent wall with a colorful Parisian scene.

I did a lot of napping, a lot of reading, and a lot of movie watching (Little Giants featured below), barely leaving my hotel room for more than sustenance. | My view from the bed!

I was careful to remember to pack bath salts and a face mask for my relaxing tub time. It was quite convenient to prop my laptop on top of the toilet and lie back in the warm water while watching Mind of a Chef on Netflix :) 

I will say the room was lacking for views. These were the shots from outside the bathroom window. Good thing I already know what the surrounding area looks like!

Sara came by and kept me company on Saturday. We walked a few blocks away to dinner at Peche where I had the best seafood salad ever! Shrimp, raw tuna, avocado, house-made crackers...really hit the spot! 
(photo courtesy of Peche's website)

After our tasty seafood dinner we headed back to my room where we landed the cheapest front row tickets to the (second) best Garth Brooks concert in all of New Orleans! Since the legend himself was actually playing not one, not two, not three, but FOUR shows at the Smoothie King Center in three days, I can only say with good conscious that our YouTube supplied show was the second best performance occurring in the area assuming live always beats screen. We had so much fun singing along with all of the hits: Callin' Baton Rouge, The Dance, Standing Outside the Fire, etc. The joy of DJing your own concert is you get to choose the next song and furthermore, artist. Our show morphed from Garth to Tim McGraw to the Dixie Chicks, to The Fugees! What a night!

As all vacations must come to an end, so do staycations. We were permitted back into the house on Monday after the plumber had re-lit all of the pilots. Hopefully this exercise in proving to be, once again, the dominant species will be effective in keeping the pesky winged termites away!

No comments:

Post a Comment